Date:      Mon, 30 May 2005 11:32:41 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [30-05-05] Layout update

Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> John Jawed wrote:
>
>> I've tried to amend to the best of my ability the resizing issues
>> mentioned earlier. I think, if you do not know much about CSS layouts,
>> that you should expect some type of distortion at some unrealistically
>> small resolutions (less than 800x600).
>
> Try to use a fixed width for the left and right columns.

I beg to differ, use fixed size for the middle column instead and
let the right side column get whatever is left over.
The problem on my screen is that the right side column is way to
wide and squeezes the middle column into a thin stripe of text,
basically unreadable.
Believe it or not, but the most common resolution today is still
800x600. And, even with a 19" screen and 1280x1024, I *never* use my
browser full-screen, I keep it at around half the screen size, and I
basically refuse to use websites that does not scale well to this
size. And I know Im not the only one.
Designing webpages for big screens with high resolutions is just bad
practice, imho!