Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:41:29 +0000
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quotas inside jails

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 07:05:30PM -0400, Darek M wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM, John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> wrote:
> >
> > Another way to set hard quotas for jails is to give each one its
> > own filesystem of fixed size. This is trivially easy with zfs--just
> > create a zfs for each jail and set the quota property. To use UFS
> > you can create image files of whatever size you want, make them
> > md(4) devices, and then newfs(8) and mount(8) them. Unlike the
> > method in the handbook, neither of these options requires kernel
> > quota support.
>
> But these would be a quota for the entire jail.  I'm interested in
> having per-user quotas for users inside a jail.
>
> I'm curious whether the "security.jail.param.allow.quotas" sysctl is
> my missing link, and if so, why it is immutable.

If using ZFS, you *could* create a file system with quota for each
user's home directory in the jail.  I'm not saying it would be
pretty....

With UFS, I think you would have to ensure that UID/GIDs do not
overlap between jails, at least for the users you want to be affected
by quotas.  That could be as ugly as the thousands of ZFS file
systems.

lambert@lambertfam.org