Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:46:27 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Steve Watt <steve@Watt.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: automount vs Solaris

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 03:52:43PM -0700, Steve Watt wrote:

> I'm trying to bring a FreeBSD server up in a mostly Solaris environment,
> and am currently arguing with amd.  The Solaris systems share an NIS
> map (auto.nfs) that looks like
> users host:/mountpoint/something/&
>=20
> which gets translated (somehow) by the Solaris automount to look like
> /nfs/users host:/mountpoint/something/users
>=20
> But I can't figure out the incantation to get amd.conf to use that.
>=20
> I've tried
> [ /nfs ]
>   map_type =3D nis
>   map_name =3D auto.nfs
>=20
> and map_type of nisplus (which didn't work).
>=20
> The entry I'm trying to tickle is:
> # ypcat -k auto.nfs | grep user
> user west:/export/user
>=20
> The error I'm getting in the log is:
>=20
> Oct  7 15:47:42 appseng1 amd[536]: key user: No value component in "west:=
/export/user"
> Oct  7 15:47:42 appseng1 amd[536]: No fs type specified (key =3D "user", =
map =3D "auto.nfs")
>=20
>=20
> It feels like there's some magic bit I'm missing.

Last time I tried to do anything like that, it was in a mixed
environment of FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris and a couple of Irix boxes.
Apart from FreeBSD, they all understood autofs and could mount stuff
happily using NIS maps.  Unfortunately I never could get FreeBSD to
understand those maps and translate them into what amd wanted.  Ended
up having a separate amd mount map just for the FreeBSD boxes -- which
was a pain, but not too much of one since the FreeBSD boxes were
generally the doing DNS, DHCP, firewalling and (ironically) NIS
serving: no need to NFS mount mouch at all.

On the other hand, there is this:

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-September/03678=
6.html

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D1001154+0+/usr/local/www/=
db/text/2004/cvs-all/20040905.cvs-all

so there will be autofs support in 5.3-RELEASE.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way