Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2013 16:27:36 -0500
From:      Joe Moog <joemoog@ebureau.com>
To:        Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Intel 4-port ethernet adaptor link aggregation issue

On Aug 1, 2013, at 3:55 PM, Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you tried using only two ports, but both from the NIC?  My =
suspicion would be that the problem is in the lagg's handling of more =
than 2 ports rather than the driver, especially given that it is the igb =
driver in all cases.

Ryan:

We have done this successfully with two ports on the NIC, on another =
hardware-identical host. That said, it is entirely possible that this is =
a shortcoming of lagg.=20

Can you think of any sort of workaround? Our desired implementation =
really requires the inclusion of all 4 ports in the lagg. Failing this =
we're looking at the likelihood of 10G ethernet, but with that comes =
significant overhead, both cost and administration (before anybody tries =
to force the cost debate, remember that there are 10G router modules and =
10G-capable distribution switches involved, never mind the cabling and =
SFPs -- it's not just a $600 10G card for the host). I'd like to defer =
that requirement as long as possible. 4 aggregated gig ports would serve =
us perfectly well for the near-term.

Thanks

Joe=