Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2006 18:45:12 +1100
From:      "Jan Mikkelsen" <janm@transactionware.com>
To:        "Toby Boudreaux" <toby@barbariangroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't install FreeBSD 6.1 on DL145 G2

Hi Tony,

> Hi, Jan. Thanks for the reply.
>
> I think I've found the problem.
>
> I'm using a USB CD-ROM to install, and it seems to hit a bug with  FreeBSD
> (#85257).
>
> I've tried to burn the ISO to my Sandisk Cruzer 2GB thumb drive and  boot
> from it, but it never seems to boot. It just hangs with a  blinking
> cursor.
>
> My server has no internal CD-ROM drive, and floppy support (I have a  USB
> floppy drive) doesn't seem to work with the amd64 distro.
>
> I'm kind of stuck now.
>
> Any ideas on any front? :)

You can boot off a USB key, you just need to put something other than an ISO
image on it.  A UFS filesystem and a bootblock is probably a good idea.

However, the easiest thing to do is probably to set up a pxeboot server and
boot off an NFS image.  For example:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/article.html

Regards,

Jan.