Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:13:00 -0500
From:      Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com>
To:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   first install

I just installed FreeBSD for the first time.
It was a minimal install. Got /bin and /manpages off the net (2.2.7) .
I installed to my second drive - a Quantum Viking 2.2G scsi.
The scsi controller is a 2940uw.
First drive is 3G WD IDE with win95.
This is an AMD K6-166 with 96M of ram.
The install seemed to go well, but when I tried to boot, it was a no go.
I am running System Commander, which recognized the os on the scsi and
added a nice blue BSD icon on the boot menu. When selected, I get the
boot prompt. If I do nothing and let it default, it just loops every 5
seconds or so and redisplays the screen. If I type "1:sd(0,a)?" , it
shows no kernels and redisplays the screen. I tried various things,
but the only thing that will respond is 1:fd(0,a)? which just boots
the system and brings up system commander from ide boot block.
Even the -cv option does nothing.
What is it doing? I got rid of all the extraneous drivers, etc.
The geometry on the fdisk screen matches partition magic's numbers.

Previously, I tried to write the boot manager to the root of the ide
so I could capture it by re-install of system commander and use an mbr
type boot. Linux worked like that on the scsi. But the FreeBSD installer
has an apparent bug in that once you tell it the boot manager will
reside on wd0, it tries to make you put you mount points on wd0 and will
not let you mess with the scsi at all. Fearing loss of my last running
OS on the ide (winbloze 95), I backed off the commit, and finding no
help here, decided not to write to the mbr. This let me set up mounts on
the scsi and finish install. Even let me dial my isp on my
isdn modem and login (cool, put rather pointless on a min install).

Is there something about this hardware combo that FreeBSD hates?
There must be a kernel out there. Why can I not get to it?
Is it possible to make a Fbsd boot floppy that can let me mount sd0
and look in / to see what is there?