Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 18:44:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Andrew Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel/Compaq 10/100 NIC gives identical MAC

Hi.

I just bought 3 of these cards to replace some DEC 21143-based
cards that won't negotiate correctly with my Linksys switch. I was
briefly happy with the Intel cards, until I realised that they all
appear to FreeBSD (3.3-STABLE Wed Dec  1 14:27:14 PST 1999) to have
identical MAC addresses, and hence won't talk to one another...

A search on the mailing list archive turned up a a response from
DG regarding this last month, but nothing since.

The probe information/driver messages say:

found->   vendor=0x8086, dev=0x1229, revid=0x08
        class=02-00-00, hdrtype=0x00, mfdev=0
        subordinatebus=0        secondarybus=0
        intpin=a, irq=10
        map[0]: type 1, range 32, base e1110000, size 12
        map[1]: type 4, range 32, base 00006200, size  6
        map[2]: type 1, range 32, base e1000000, size 20
fxp0: <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 0x08 int a irq 10 on pci0.10.0
fxp0: Ethernet address 00:a4:c0:91:d2:9c, 10Mbps
fxp0: warning: unsupported PHY, type = 0, addr = 0

As in the previous report, 'Doze reports a different MAC address,
and thinks the card is an "Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter
with Alert on LAN".

I think that these cards are the Intel 741462-xxx (PILA8460BN)
parts, with the trailing 3-connector pigtail lead (presumably for
the Wake-On-Lan and/or Management functions) and 2 LED's. They are
Intel 82559-based.

The cards seem to work perfectly (thanks to the auto-negotiation),
but only one at a time on the network :-(

I note that the FAQ on Intel's web site has the following to say regarding
this card:

    My PRO/100+ appears to load OK in Windows NT* 4.0, but I can?t
    browse the network.

      The driver included in NT 4.0 for the Intel PRO/100B line is
      outdated and may not work correctly on newer hardware, such
      as the PRO/100+.  Please update your drivers to the latest
      version in 100PDISK.EXE

Is there any more information available about this problem, is
there anything I can do to help, would the loan/donation of a card
itself help?

Regards,

Andy Sparrow