Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:54:56 -0700
From:      Eddie Fry <eddie@eaznet.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   email & web slow

I'm a small ISP running FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a PP180, 64MB RAM, 3COM XL
Combo NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, 2 - 2.1G Ultra SCSI Hard Drives.  This server
acts as a:

1) Radius Auth Server
2) Web Host (Apache)
3) Mail Host (Qpopper, SMTP)

When our dial up service gets busy, qpopper and Apache tend to slow down
noticably.  I've checked things out with TOP and the CPU stays over 90%
idle even during peak times.  Would adding another NIC and moving mail
to that interface help speed things up?  I'm not real certain where the
bottleneck lies.  The console seems to run fine and disk activity isn't
overabundant.  Any ideas?  We're running 10baseT at the moment  but our
collision rates don't seem high.  Our PM3 reports the following:

Name     Ipkts        Ierrs     Opkts      Oerrs   Collis   Resets
Queue
ether0   22518117   25      24316822   7       88014   16        0

Thanks
--
Eddie Fry
EAZNet Internet Services