Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:17:03 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mmap

Greg Black wrote:

> > What's the meaning of fd = -1 with mmap()?
>
> It's fully covered in the man page.  What don't you understand?

It isn't "fully" covered in the man page. It says that -1 must be
used in the case of MAP_ANON. It *doesn't* say what happens when you
*do not* use MAP_ANON with fd -1, and it *does not* list an error
code for this case (thus, I suppose one is not returned).

To assume any behavior would be just that: to assume. It is not
acceptable.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com