Date:      Sat, 07 Feb 1998 18:19:03 -0800
From:      James Shaw <jashaw@san.rr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet card support under FreeBSD

Here is the technical specifications excerpted from the installation guide:

Standards Compliance    IEEE 802.3u 100Base-TX
                                      IEEE 802.3 10Base-T
                                      PCI Local Bus Specification. Ver. 2.0

Connection Interface       Single J-45 connector for both 10Base-T and 100Base-TX

I/O address                    Assigned by the BIOS to a free I/O address block

IRQ Line: INT A            Assigned by the BIOS to a free IRQ (interrupt) number

Software Support:           Noovell NetWare, Novell NetWare Lite, Novell Personal
NetWare, Microsoft Windows for Workgroups, Microsoft Windows NT, Microsoft Windows
95 Microsoft LANA Manager, SCO UNIX, Artisoft LANtastic, IBM LAN Server, NDIS-and
ODI-compliant operationg systems.

 And when I boot to FreeBSD, the initial message says:

pci0:17: vendor=0x10ec, device=0x8129, class=network (ethernet) int a irq 10 [no
driver assigned]

So I guess FreeBSD detected the board.  But how do I install the driver for the
board?

Also, I have cable modem right now with RoadRunner.  Basically I need to run the
RoadRunner Login software in Winnt to log in and start using the cable modem.  My
question is: Even if the ethernet card can be used under FreeBSD, can I use the
cable modem without the RoadRunner Login Software?  There isn't a version of the
software for FreeBSD.

--
James Shaw
3rd Year Computer Engineering Student at