Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:54:22 -0700
From:      Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>
To:        GERARDO ENRIQUE PAREDES MANCIA <g.paredes@unitec.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-binup@FreeBSD.org, murray@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: current state of the binup project

> I would like to know which is the current state of this project, if its still
> being worked or is abandoned.

It's something I want to do. Unfortunately I'm stuck with very little time
between paid work and school work, especially needing to create a reliable
multicast protocol from scratch for a group project this quarter.

> I also have some doubts about what the components in the current codebase do,
> for example, the current incarnation of updated only holds metadata for the
> releases, profiles, files and such; my question is if updated is gonna
> continue just being a meta-data server and the client will handle the actual
> downloading and installing of the binary distributions using libfetch in the
> same style that pkg_install(1) and friends do? If so, how are you going to
> handle the binary packages? are they going to be the same chunks that the
> distribution cd's hold?.

The code currently appearing in the projects directory in cvs is not worth
very much. It exists to transfer files and other such information related
to services BSDi was interested in providing. With BSDi out of the picture,
all we care about is transferring files, and there's better ways to do
that.