Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:40:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 for NFS server

 >> Depends on your clients.  For 2.2.5, I can confirm that Solaris
 >> and Digital Unix clients do NOT work using nfs v3.  Digital Unix
 >> works fine if you specify v2 when mounting.  Telling FreeBSD
 >> mountd to only accept v2 does not seem to allow mounts from
 >> Solaris clients using their automounter (I'm not the admin of the
 >> Solaris boxes in question so I can't do much more investigation.)

 Wes> You can probably take care of this problem for the Solaris clients
 Wes> by specifying vers=2 in the mount options.

So, from all the feedback I've been getting, it seems that the best
approach is to make sure that the FreeBSD server uses only NFS version
2. And for solaris clients, make sure they try to mount with
"vers=2". Any other gotchas?

Anyone know whether -current is better with NFS? (I realize that this
is the wrong list). Especially considering that we have every major
UNIX represented here as a NFS client?

Thanks for all the feedback. Any other suggestions?
I'll report back on how -stable worked as a NFS server with the other
unices.

 Wes> Wes Peters

Thanks
Viren
--
Viren R. Shah, {viren@rstcorp.com}
"You are about as sharp as a sack of wet mice"