Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 1995 14:43:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ken Fallot <fallot@ecc.nyseg.com>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dial-up , PPP, SLIP or other REMOTE X

On Wed, 27 Dec 1995, Ken Fallot wrote:

>   I'm running FreeBSD 2.0.5 on P90 with perm. connection to internet at work.

Kewl :-)

>   I would like to provide myself with dial in capabilities and run
>   things like Mosaic, Netscape and other X applications from home. (also
>   FreeBsd) I've read some about PPP and SLIP and I'm still a bit confused.
>   If anyone can help answer some of my questions I would be greatfull.

Sure...

>   - I only have one IP from my ISP can i still run ppp or slip?

Sure can, no problem.

>   - Is there any "REMOTE X" type applicatione i can use on dial-up?

You can use whatever you want, once you have the PPP or SLIP connection
established.  You can point an X server on your home box to your work
box and use the work box's xdm.

>   - Is there any way i can do one of the above from a DOS client?
>     ( please don't flame me , some co-workers don't have UNIX )

X on DOS is not pretty.  There is a server, 'XAppeal', which is
commercial.  There is a 30 day demo that a friend of mine has that I
could forward along.

>    I have already set up /dev/ttyd0 with USRobitics 14.4 and
>    can use standard terminal emulator from home. I've read the FreeBSD
>    handbook sections on PPP and SLIP , the man pages don't seem to help.

Hm.  Anything specific you're having problems with in relation to
PPP/SLIP?  It's a big topic.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant