Date:      10 Jul 2002 11:39:33 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        "Grant Cooper" <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: apache file

"Grant Cooper" <grant.cooper@nucleus.com> writes:

> I read that, so I am reinstalling FreeBSD and starting fresh? I have 2
> questions that I could not find an answer.
>
> 1. I am using FreeBSD 4.5 and was trying to install the new version,
> downloading from Apache website. 2.0.39 that is used for FreeBSD 4.6.

Ok, firstly, do you have any reason for installing apache from source?
If you don't I would advise that you use the ports tree. Installing
from ports is as simple as
cd /usr/ports/apache2
make install

> 2. I changed the default script for root to tsch shell. I read in
> the hand book this wasn't a good idea. I felt the script wasn't
> being run at all and when I went to run the executable httpd, it
> just got an error like the file never existed. And I was in the
> correct directory.

Generally you shouldn't run many things as root on a machine, so
root's shell shouldn't bug you. If you do want to change root's shell,
then make sure that the binary exists in /bin and that there is an
entry for it in /etc/shells

The reason for this is that many installations have /usr on a separate
disk. If this disk does not mount and your shell is on it, you can't
get a shell to carry on recovering the machine. You would have to boot
off of a rescue disk.

Lastly, please tell us what command you used (and the EXACT way you
typed it) to try and start apache. The #!/bin/sh in there does not
have any relation to what shell you are using.

As I and one other person have suggested so far, try typing
./apachectl start from the directory that apachectl is in.

If this does not work, please post the exact error that you get here.

Regards,

--
- Wayne Pascoe  -  http://www.penguinpowered.org.uk/wayne/
    Everything to excess. To enjoy the flavour of