Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:49:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AS 1200 Install Problems

Michael Richards writes:
 > >> Since I dd'd the image onto the hard drive, how can I just
 > >> replace the boot loader?
 > >
 > > b) mount that hard disk on a freebsd machine & replace the loader.
 >
 > Ok. I didn't realize this image was a complete filesystem that could
 > be mounted. I replaced boot1 and loader. The machine does the same
 > thing, only this time it shows up as SRM boot disk revision 1.1.
 >
 > Something worth noting, below the memory available it has the | that
 > twirls a bit and stops. After it says:
 > device dka600.6.0.1.1 no longer valid
 >
 > Wait about 5 minutes and it will try to boot. It give the little 10
 > second thing where you can hit enter to boot immediately and then
 > tries to boot. Then it starts scrolling debug info repeatedly and I
 > can't stop it to read. I presume it's some sort of kernel barf. It
 > did the same thing with the other version of the boot loader (I was
 > playing with it last night).
 >
 > >From this I can only guess that it reads part of the image from disk
 > and can't read any more. After the system times out, it believes it
 > has it all and tries to boot, then fails when it hits the part it
 > didn't read.

I'd guess that the loader tried to access that disk and the srm
console barfed, but it is just a guess. It is hard to say, without
seeing a transcript of what happened.  Maybe you should use a serial
console & post the results.

Can you netboot this beast to get it installed?  I have an old copy of
netboot sitting at www.cs.duke.edu/~gallatin/netboot.gz
You need to setup a bootp server so that the (uncompressed) netboot
file gets loaded when you boot the AlphaServer from the network (ewa0,
probably).  You then need to make a root directory NFS mountable by
the bootloader and put the kernel.gz file in it from the 2.88MB image.

Here's a sample dhcpd.conf stanza:

group {
        use-host-decl-names on ;
        # key to netbooting Digital Unix clients
        always-reply-rfc1048 on ;

        filename "/freebsd/diskless.a/boot/netboot";
        option root-path "192.168.0.30:/freebsd/diskless.a/" ;
#
        option routers 152.3.145.61 ;
        option broadcast-address 152.3.145.255 ;
        option domain-name-servers 152.3.140.1,152.3.145.240,152.3.250.2;
        option domain-name "cs.duke.edu duke.edu" ;
#
        host foobar {
                hardware ethernet 00:60:67:32:6b:e9 ; fixed-address foobar.cs.duke.edu ; }
}

So you need to have "/freebsd/diskless.a/boot/netboot" TFTP'able and
you need to export "/freebsd/diskless.a/" to the alphaserver.
And you need to have a "/freebsd/diskless.a/kernel.gz" file to boot,
where kernel.gz is from the 2.88MB floppy.

Hope that helps,

Drew