Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:40:34 -0600
From:      "Brian Henning" <b1henning@hotmail.com>
To:        "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>, "freebsd" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: isp connection woes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To: "Brian Henning" <b1henning@hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 1:36 PM

(snip)
> > i now know that i am having problems connecting to my dhcp server.
> can you try the following? (after first changing the ip address to
> 0.0.0.0?
> dhclient <your interface card here>
>
> Then do an ifconfig and see if you got an address?
>
> > i am in the process of changing the dhcp code (at line 159 in
> > /usr/src/contrib/isc-dhcp/common/packet.c)
> > i changed this to 128. Then i am going to rebuild everything.
> > i was not able to find out the ip address of the dhcp server that
> > my isp uses so
> > i hope this solves the problem. any other suggestions? it seems
> > odd that i would
> > have to make this kind of a change to get dhcp to work.. do i need to add
> > anything to my rc.conf to enable dhcp?
> Yes, I use interface ed0 to get an internet ip from my ISP.
> I use the following:
> ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"
>

> > rebuild everything
> > ------------------
> > cd /usr/src && make buildworld
> > cd /usr/src && make buildkernel
> > cd /usr/src && make installkernel
> > < reboot into single user mode >
> > boot -s
> > fsck -p
> > mount -a
> > cd /usr/src && mergemaster -p
> > cd /usr/src && make installworld
> > cd /usr/src && mergemaster
> > reboot
> This is way too much work to solve a dns issue.
> I mentioned in a previous message on this thread
> that you should be no more than a hop or two from
> your dhcp server. And for the benefit of people
> that are not aware of how DNS works, here is an
> example: (For the record, this is off the top
> of my head, I expect several people to see a flaw
> in my description, but I am not here to argue about
> that).
>
> Step 1: DHCP Client sends and ethernet broadcast
> to the address 255.255.255.255:67 from address
> 0.0.0.0:68 . (67=bootps, 68=bootpc)
>
> Step 2: All DHCP servers (sometimes there are more
> than one) respond to the client via a standard
> packet. The server knows the MAC address of the
> client. Every packet on a local area network has
> a unique MAC address.
>
> Step 3: If the client is happy with the address
> it will respond to the server with a request for
> the ip that the server proposed.
>
> Step 4: The server will make a note of this and
> approve the connection. It will send a packet
> back to the client saying that it has permission
> to use the address.
>
> One thing to note is that ethernet broadcast
> packets do not usually leave the network interface.
> The default that you mention, 16, is a lot of hops
> from the client. And DHCP packets are (not sure on
> this) sent as UDP packets. Which are not guarenteed
> to get to the destination (period). To think of this
> a different way, I can be in New York City from my
> location in Oregon in 13 hops.
>

> > Thanks,
> > brian
> [...]

Hello-
Thanks to all who helped me get my bsd machine connected to my isp using dhcp.
makeing the TTL change to /usr/src/contrib/isc-dhcp/common/packet.c seemed to
fix my problem. i know it seems odd to some of you that I would need more than
16 hops, but apparently the ATTBI network is a little different. Going forward I
plan on installing natd and some firewall software.

Cheers,

brian