Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 18:53:48 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [video] fxtv feedback

Amancio Hasty:
 |Randall Hopper:
 |> Amancio Hasty:
 |>  |1. Try to use yuv for mpeg encoding it should speed up video capture and
 |>  |   mpeg encoding also it should not be hard to implement given
 |>  |   all the work that has gone into fxtv to support video capture.
 |>
 |> Had this on the list from your previous request.  Don't have it very high
 |> though since RGB does everything I need.  Wouldn't really save capture
 |> bandwidth since, if you're running in 15- or 16-bit, RGB16 capture is being
 |> used.  Probably would speed up image save and encoding though; don't have a
 |> feel for how much since I've never tried it.  It's on the list.
 |
 |You save about 1/3 in bandwith and I have on my list of things
 |to do to have the X server support yuv directly which will be
 |nice for scaling to 1024x768.

Really?  Ok.  Guess I need to read up on YUV somewhere.  From scanning the
driver source, I got the impression that the supported YUV fmts were 2
bytes per pixel, inferring from that that it would occupy the same raw
capture bandwidth as RGB16.  Guess I misinterpreted.

Say, on your list of things to do, (it may be there already, but if not),
can you put FPS fix for the driver up above YUV X server extensions.  Then
I can move fxtv up from my tweaked 4/97 rev to the latest version.  Just
can't give up that video capture, even if it does only work for
single-field. :-)

 |I like the contents of your desktop it gives me the feeling of
 |serious programming going on over there 8)

OH yeah.  ;)

Later--

Randall