Date:      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 00:17:26 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Eclipse 3.1: no swt-pi-gtk-3138

Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	Well, I agree that only one instance of swt
> should be ever lying around. Or, at least, that they not CONFLICT
> with one another since I need eclipse to build azureus but only swt
> to run it which means I would have a hell of a dependency problem
> otherwise.
>
> 	Well, for those wondering about an example. I did a crude
> hack to azureus to get it going. The port still needs polishing
> but it is good enough so that you can try any of the mentioned
> solutions.
>
> 	I, for one, would prefer that the eclipse port
> would extract the .so files somewhere rather than incarnating yet
> another port since I also need the swt*jar files which are part of
> eclipse. We wouldn't gain much from another port (saving run time
> dependencies I mean), we would require both in the end.
>
> 	Port sample,
>
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~lioux/azureus.tgz
>
> 	Regards,

Just to clear this one up, an swt port would contain every swt*.jar and
every libswt*.so you see in eclipse.

I see that the linux distribution of azureus bundles swt along. That
means that they are not concerned with the assorted bloat. That is to be
expected, I guess.

Let me try to make an evaluation of the problem. The use cases I can
think of are these:

1. users who need eclipse and not azureus and friends
2. users who need azureus, etc but not eclipse
3. users who need both eclipse and swt-based apps

These are the solutions I see thus far:

a. have a swt port besides the eclipse port
b. keep only the eclipse port but tweak its swt jars
c. keep only the eclipse port but tweak with azureus/etc. build process

Solution a satisfies use cases 1 and 2. Use case 3 would be completely
satisfied only if we avoid keeping two copies of swt.

Solution b satisfies use cases 1 and 3. Use case 2 would have
unnecessary bloat.

Solution c satisfies use cases 1 and 3. Use case 2 would have
unnecessary bloat.

It seems that solution a would be ideal, provided that we can solve the
eclipse/swt dependency issues. I would really like to avoid undoing the
new standard eclipse plugin structure (single jars), since that would
make it different from the package people would get from eclipse.org (in
the not-too-distant future). I'm trying to invent some extra logic in
the ports Makefiles, like "if we have eclipse, depend on it instead of
swt", or "if eclipse exists mark swt as IGNORE", etc. If anyone has any
ideas, I'm all ears.

Alternatively, if you know how to specify the location of a native
library to be in an archive, please speak up!

Cheers,

Panagiotis