Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 13:56:30 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'rick hamell' <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Not able to see FreeBSD machines on NT machine

Well, as I said before, I use only TCP/IP and have no browsing problems =
at
all.  Maybe it's a configuration error, especially where samba is =
concerned,
as it can be touchy at times.  As far as keep-alives, you may want to =
run
tcpdump on the unix machine and see just that the packets are, and then
filter them from causing keep-alives or dialups in your ppp.conf.  I'm
willing to bet it's either an odd DNS lookup, or a SMB packet that is =
being
sent over the link for some strange reason.  I deny anything going over
ports 137-139 over my link to the outside world, and about once a every =
week
or two there will be a  blocked packet or two that one of the machines =
tried
to send over the link.  Don't ask me why because I have no idea.

Keep in mind that FreeBSD doesn't even speak NetBEUI (or IPX/SPX for =
the
most part) and therefore actually causes more problems for the samba
browsing when you have it installed.  Windows likes to default to =
NetBEUI
and when it can't contact the samba server via NetBEUI (which it never =
will
since it's not supported) it then has to fall back to TCP/IP.  Windows
doesn't always do this gracefully though.

As a matter of fact, the company where I work runs strictly TCP/IP and =
there
are thousands of computers on this network.  Browsing works fine.

-Chris