Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 2002 23:39:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Gene@bomgardner.net
Cc:        freeBSD-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE and troubles with TCP

--- Gene Bomgardner <Gene@bomgardner.net> wrote:

> Here's my ppp.conf - the 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0
> 0.0.0.0    are the actual values used in the file. They bear no
> relation to any IP addresses used in my network whatsoever. Why
> they work; the /0 says there are no significant bits. PPP is free to
> change to any required ip.  The nat enable is used because the
> machine is used as a gateway. I've never had any trouble with this
> setup on any web site or any other operation. By the way, this conf
> file is used on a 4.5 system. The  set MRU 1492 and  set MTU
> 1492 were required because of the way verizon was set up. Good
> luck.
> Gene
>
> -------------------------  ppp.conf
> ---------------------------------------
>
> default:
>
>  set device PPPoE:ed1
>  set MRU 1492
>  set MTU 1492
>  set speed sync
>  set authname username  (substitute your user name)
>  set authkey password    (substitute your PASSWORD)
>  set log  command
>  set dial
>  set redial 0 0
>  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
>  add 0 0 HISADDR
>  nat enable yes
>  set cd 5
>  enable lqr
>  enable proxy
>  set crtscts off
>
> papchap:
>  set authname username	(substitute your user name)
>  set authkey password	(substitute your PASSWORD)

Thank you for your trying to help me. Your version of ppp.conf is very
similar to mine. I don't have LAN here, but only one box with FreeBSD
connected to the outside world through my ADSL modem. So ' set nat' and
' set proxy' options are not required in my case. I don't use
' set ifaddr' option because default arguments of it are good for me.

I think that the source of my problem isn't in ppp.conf probably,
but somewhere in TCP. Nobody answered me how MTU == MRU == 1484 solves
my problem. Maybe there is a bug in TCP when MTU and MRU have some
unstandard value. When I use Win98SE in the same box and the same ADSL
modem with RASPPPOE driver of PPPoE I have no troubles when the MTU is
1492 there. This is why I think the source of the problem is in TCP
implementation of FreeBSD. ppp have some dial with TCP, so maybe the
source of the problem is there but most likely not in ppp.conf