Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 21:22:35 -0000
From:      "Bill Nutt" <B.Nutt@dial.pipex.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp -auto problem? on 2.1.5-RELEASE

Hi,
I'm currently running 2.1.5-R (yes I know I need to upgrade ASAP!) and have
set up
ppp to run on auto.   As soon as I do a:

ppp -auto <ispname>

the machine dials out, even though I have nothing running which I think
needs to send a packet.

If I do a <close>, ppp redials to my provider after a few seconds.
Is this normal and expected?  i.e. On startup must the machine request info
from elsewhere?

Sorry for asking this, but after the security holes found recently, I hope
you won't think me too paranoid!!
( I previously had problems with logins failing, but I believe I traced
this successfully to XF86-3.2 screwing up my keyboard map)

btw,
my machine knows its FQDN from /etc/hosts since I've told it to look there
before trying DNS.

thanks in advance,

--Bill