Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 21:13:56 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com (Marty Leisner), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NE2000 on 2.0

> Marty Leisner stands accused of saying:
>
> > and get:
> >
> > ed1: device timeout (consistently)
>
> This means that the board has not delivered a 'transmit complete'
> interrupt.
>
> You get this when your _hardware_ isn't working; because it's configured
> incorrectly or because it's broken.

     This is mostly implied by the phrase, "configured incorrectly" (and
by Michael's comment about serial ports), but I want to emphasize that
this problem can be caused by an interrupt conflict (e.g., two boards
configured to use the same IRQ).  The NE2000 clone could be configured
correctly, but some other board (possibly the serial port) could be
misconfigured to use the same IRQ.

     I know -- I ran into this exact problem a couple of days ago.  ;-)

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.