Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:24:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A new Kernel Module System

> > I've felt for a long time now that the intent of the memory hole
> > at the start of the executable in the ELF SVR4 EABI was to allow
> > the mapping of the ld.so into the process address space without
> > there being code in crt0.o to actually do the work.
>
> That is exactly the case in SVR4.  The kernel maps the combined libc+ld.so
> into the hole before execution begins.

I knew that.  I'm a former USL employee who hacked on SVR4 kernel code
for FS, VM, and process context sharing.  It just may not have been
the intent of the spec. writers, even though I think it was, since
they carefully avoid saying anything about the hole in their rationale.

Probably because they don't want to have people come back on them later
when their "large enough" reserved area is no longer "large enough".

8-).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org