Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:29:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Page Coloring

:>     Since most L1 caches these days are at least 16K and most L2 caches
:>     these days are at least 64K (and often much higher, such as on the IA32),
:>     our hardwired page coloring constants wind up being about 95% effective
:>     across the entire range of chips our OS currently runs on.
:
:Yes, I understand that.  I'm just trying to find out why Mike keeps
:saying we cannot determine the processor cache characteristics at
:runtime.
:
:John
:--
:  John Polstra                                               jdp@polstra.com

    You can find out from the cpuid or something like that, but it's
    probably easier to simply do it programmatically, or not bother at
    all.  It's not worth the effort.  We would not reap any additional
    benefit from knowing.

    It is interesting to note that one effect of the page-coloring
    code is that the VM CACHE and FREE VM page queues are actually
    multi-queues, which means that when I extend the SMP locking down into
    them we will wind up with fine-grained locking for memory allocations.
    But before I can even begin contemplating that I have to change the way
    the vm_page BUSY'ing stuff works so page operations (such as allocations)
    can occur without having to hold long term mutexes.

						-Matt