Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 21:08:16 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use IRC

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 06:26:52PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:

> Hi guys,

Hi Mark!

> I originally installed ircat as it has a GTK interface which I figured
> would make it easier for a numbskull like me :) Not so (and the ircat
> website is in Japanese), so I installed ircii (which is what real men seem
> to use) and this is what I get:
>
> % irc-4.4X
> *** Connecting to port 6667 of server change.this.to.a.server
> *** Unable to connect to port 6667 of server change.this.to.a.server: Unknown
> +host
> *** Use /SERVER to connect to a server

You can pass command line args to the `irc' program.  I customarily use
it like this:

    % setenv IRCNAME 'Giorgos Keramidas'
    % irc keramida irc.freebsd.org

The value of the environment variable IRCNAME is what others will see in
IRC when they issue a /whois command for your nickname.

> *** Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.freebsd.org
> *** Looking up your hostname...
> *** Found your hostname, cached
> *** Checking Ident
> *** No Ident response
> *** Notice -- You need to install identd to use this server

Some IRC servers require that a valid identd server is running on the
client machine.  It seems that irc.freebsd.org is one of them.

To overcome this, I enabled identd in my /etc/inetd.conf by adding the
following line (taken from /usr/src/etc/inetd.conf):

    auth stream tcp nowait root internal	auth -r -f -n -o UNKNOWN -t 30

and restarted inetd.

With the internal identd/auth service of FreeBSD's inetd, you can even
fake that your real username is something else, by putting the username
you want identd/auth to show in your ~/.fakeid file.

I sometimes call up IRC like this:

    % echo charon > .fakeid
    % setenv IRCNAME charon
    % irc charon some.irc.server

I think you get the major points to get you started with IRC now.  Hope
to see you soon on irc.freebsd.org ;-)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
For my public pgp2 key: finger -l keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr