Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 11:56:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Sean Reifschneider <jafo@tummy.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi%freebsd.org@probe.net
Cc:        wolf%cologne.de@probe.net, se%mi.Uni-Koeln.de@probe.net
Subject:   FreeBSD NCR driver timeout?

Greetings.  I'm trying to port some SCSI scanner code to FreeBSD 2.1.0
but have run across (what seems to be) a timeout problem.  I'm trying
to control a a SCSI scanner which emulates a processor device (as opposed
to implementing the scanner commands).

During the scan operation, the scanner starts doing it's thing to scan,
but just before it would actually start sending data, I get a read error
and the scanner resets.  A "handshake timeout" is logged to the console.

I tracked this through the ncr.c driver, and it seems that at line
4441 the handshake timeout is set to 1.6 seconds.  My first question is
wether it is possible to increase this value (to about 3 or 4 seconds).
It seems that the scanner starts doing the scan when it gets the request
to read data, but it has to position the scan head, activate the light,
etc.  It's just taking too long to start sending back data.

I've tried upping the timeout through the SCSI library, but that has no effect.
Unfortunately, the SCSI controller that's on my sound board completely hangs
whenever I try to access the scanner (it's an Adaptec on a Sound Blaster 16).
With the exception of this timeout, EVERYTHING else in my interactions with
the scanner work -- inquiring name, negotiating scanning parameters, etc.

Any pointers would be appreciated.  My next course of action is going to be
seeing if I can get a small program that I can ship off to somone with a
different controller to try.

Thanks,
Sean
--
"We just wanted to give the band a little more thrust than most other bands."
        - Donald Fagen's reply to why they chose the band name 'Steely Dan'