Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:45:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Using tcpdump to report on web-surfing habits

Hi,

I work for a mid-sized company (about 300 people in my building) and I
would like to set up a BSD box to listen to network traffic and email me
whenever someone accesses a prohibited site. (eg Porn, Warez,
gambling...)

tcpdump seems like a good place to start, but has anyone had any
experience using it for something like this?  If so how did you get it to
work?

Part of the reason I want this information (aside from being the network
snitch) is because I want to eventually justify purchasing a fairly large
server that I can run Squid on with content filters.  I've already set up
a small test box that works quite well, but it slows down when too much of
a load is placed on it (it's a P-100 with 24MB ram).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

M.
-----
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper.
                         - T. S. Eliot, "The Hollow Men"