Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 10:54:27 -0800
From:      "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi@redcart.com>
To:        steve.gailey@db.com
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad 600

Its due to the memory value being understood by FreeBSD as given by the BIOS
being wrong for values over 64MB.  Pull the extra memory, install, build a
kernel with the correct size for the memory (can be determined by looking at
the value given by the memory check at powerup) and you should be good to go.

You can do a CD boot under those circumstances.

On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 09:45:58 GMT, Sendmail channeled "Steve Gailey" saying:
> Has anyone had any success installing FreeBSD 3.X on one of
> these beasts?
>
> The machine just hangs and needs a physical reset during the
> probes, just after finding the CD. I have tried disabling not required
> for the install, but without any success.
>
> I am booting FreeBSD 3.3, from floppy (CD didn't work as it got
> confused about the disks). It does find the Hdd and CD-ROM ok,
> but hangs after that.

| Kenton A. Hoover                                  | shibumi@marchordie.org |
|  Private Citizen                                  |                        |
| San Francisco, California                         |                        |
|        Ben Stone: Better to light a match than curse the darkness.         |
|        Adam Schiff: Be careful you don't light a fuse.                     |
|                            -- "Law and Order"                              |