Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:08:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctls for hardware monitoring?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

MM>Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de> types:
MM>> On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
MM>> MM>Linux uses a device driver that's a directory full of files holding
MM>> MM>sensor information. That doesn't seem to be the right direction for
MM>> MM>FBSD, though. An option that enabled a set of sysctls to collect the
MM>> MM>information seemed to be more approrpiate.
MM>> MM>Comments? Suggestions? Brickbats?
MM>>
MM>> What's bad about using files? Just to be different?
MM>
MM>Other than having to deal with devfs in -current vs. -stable, nothing
MM>in particular. I'm just looking at the trend for doing things in
MM>-stable, which is to make read-only data from in the kernel available
MM>via sysctls. For example, where Linux has /proc/net/dev and
MM>/proc/net/route, FreeBSD uses a sysctl to get the data.

It's just annoying to need a special program to get at the values. For
some parts of the MIB, like the interface MIB, even sysctl doesn't help -
you need to write a program to look at these. I still think, its easier to
read the fan speed by cat(1)-ing a file, than to fire up a special
program for this.

MM>>Isn't it easier to select, poll, kqueue, what ever on files than on sysctls?
MM>
MM>True, but none of the things you've named are useful for these
MM>hardware monitors. The only useful thing you can do is read the
MM>current value.

Not sure. You could have a file, that gives you events, like 'CPU to
hot' or so. The the user space program wouldn't need to poll the values.

harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private
              brandt@fokus.fhg.de