Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 09:35:14 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        jaredp@direct.ca (Jared Proudfoot)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Problems

Hi ...

> I'm currently running FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE on a P166 with 128MB RAM, an
> Adaptec 2940 UW controller, 2 Quantam Atlases, 1 Quantam Grand Prix and an
> IDE Quantum Sirocco.

I'm running the latest SCSI code I could find (I think) on a P166 128MB RAM
and an adaptek 2940 controller and have experienced the same error messages.
Same thing with the "time out while idle" etc.

I only don't have Quantum disks, but two IBM DORS and an HP DAT (4Gig).  In
this case it is the HP DAT dat seems to be the culprit everytime,

BUT !!, when attaching the DAT to a 2.2 (not even the latest SCSI code)
macine (120 MHz pentium  16MB RAM) the error does not occur ???? !!!!!
Can this be a timing problem with faster machines, like a P166 ??

> The machine will lock up periodically, giving SCSI drive errors.  Here's
> the errors I've been getting, the error as reported in /var/log/messages
> and a copy of my dmesg output:
>
> sd1(ahc0:5:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,1 retires: 4
> SCB: 0x1 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
>
> SEQADDR == 0x4
> Queueing an Abort SCB
> Queueing an Abort SCB
>
> no longer in timeout

Mine doesn't always get out of the timeout :( :(

Reinier