Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:08:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        davids@webmaster.com (David Schwartz)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

> What I'm talking
> about is lock in to an inferior technology in the presence of a superior
> technology (one that's indisputably superior in the range of 20% or more).
>
> > I can cite many examples of either, if you would clarify what it is
> > you are talking about.
>
> I'm talking about tipping or network affects locking us into an inferior
> technology. And the reason I don't think examples will be found is quite
> simple -- even though discarding compatability is painful, as soon as it's
> profitable, we find a way to do it.
>
> We aren't still stuck using 8 bit computers, are we?

No, we are stuck using 8MHz 16 bit I/O busses, incapable of
identifying all of the devices you plug into them, and incapable
of doing bys mastering into your full memory address space.

You might have an argument against inferior technologies after
the last ISA card is dead and buried, but don't bet on it: I
can't run arbitrary speeds between different PCI slots yet,
either.

Also, look at PCMCIA: other standards were available, but it is on
an ENPIC by ENPIC basis whether or not hot plug is supported, and
in most cases where it's not, OS vendors are unwilling to do the
necessary work to make it robust in spite of that (c.f. FreeBSD,
any Microsoft OS, etc.).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---