Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:19:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Anthony Barlow <tony@warp.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 promiscuous mode?

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Anthony Barlow wrote:

> Apr 13 15:06:43 temp1 /kernal: ed0: promiscuous mode enabled
>
> What does it mean?
>
> temp1 is our test bed that I'm using to play around with to get used
> to FreeBSD
>
> Regards,
> Anthony

	It means that someone has enabled your ethernet interface for
network packet sniffing.  This has its legitimate uses, but you should
discover who was doing this.  Promiscuous mode _requires_ root privliges
by default.  It can be used by crackers/hackers to grab passwords floating
around on a local ethernet.

	For more info see the bpf(4) and tcpdump(1) man pages.

cheers,

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
System Administrator                 --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!