Date:      11 Jul 1997 13:13:47 +0100
From:      Simon Marlow <simonm@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: onboard sound problem

batie@aahz.jf.intel.com (Alan Batie) writes:

> I've got a new Dell Dimension XPS H266; it's got onboard sound, as shown
> below.  The problem is that when I try to play sounds (using xanim or splay),
> the sound comes in spurts --- a half second of sound, a one second pause,
> a half second of sound, etc.  I disabled the lpt port, noticing that the
> irq's conflicted, but it made no difference.  The error says it's DMA that's
> failing anyhow...  Thoughts?

I had the same problem on my Toshiba 460CDT, it turned out that the
onboard sound was defaulting to DMA 0 instead of 1.  Because you are
actually getting some sound, however, it looks like an IRQ
conflict/misconfiguration.

Try booting Windows to set up the sound card before soft-booting into
FreeBSD, and check that Windows is setting the IRQ properly.

Cheers,
	Simon