Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 22:56:01 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD MULTIPACKAGE

Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net> wrote:

> Anybody here have any experience with OpenBSD MULTIPACKAGE,

Plenty.

> which is an enhancement on our ports system to build multiple
> packages out of 1 port.

Careful.  MULTI_PACKAGES only deals with the final package creation
step.  It still builds and installs from a single source distribution.

It's handy for creating separate client and server packages for
mysql, cvsup, etc, or for pine, pico, and a combined pine+pico
package.  It would lend itself to splitting up XFree86.

> If this solution is a good one, and if I can backport it easily,
> it might be a nice way out of the meta-port, mega-port, and
> ports-up-the-wazoo dilemmas.

It's good at what it is intended for, but it's not generally
applicable to meta ports.