Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:44:42 -0800
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@Freebsd.org>
Subject:   libtool/shared libraries problem

--Apple-Mail-26--534131678

In the course of cleaning up this b*rked port installed, I found that
popt wouldn't install properly. It would report no errors but ports
that depended on it would bail out, unable to find shlibs.

configure, running under the ports system, returns this:

creating libtool
checking host system type... i386-unknown-kfreebsd4.9-gnu <-- what's
that all about?
. . . . .
checking dynamic linker characteristics... no
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
. . . .

Cleaning out the work directory, doing a make deinstall in libtool13
gives me this more reasonable outcome.

checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsd4.9
. . . .

The acid test is to see if "make package" will work since it seems to
check the created files against a list that "make install" doesn't seem
to do.

I just did a portinstall rpm (where I was stuck with popt being broken)
and it installed just fine. It did however kick back the same warning I
have seen previously that libtool13 is deprecated and libtool15 is
preferred.

There is no warning about the popt port in UPDATING.
--
Paul Beard
<www.paulbeard.org/>