Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 09:52:19 -0800
From:      Rusty <irisinc@gci.net>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Printing

I am having a problem setting up my LaserJet 6MP toprint under freeBSD.

I installed the apsfilter port as advised in an eariler post.  I had to
change the source page as Andres Klemm has moved his page from where it
used to be found in the Makefile.

I am following the instructions found in Greg Lehey's book "The Complete
FreeBSD".  On page 294 it says to issue the command lptest > /dev/lpt0
to test the printer.  When I do this my printer starts up and produces
four (4) blank pages.

I suspect that I am getting the staircase effect and the printer is
printing off the page.

On page 296 are instructions for curing this problem.  It talks about a
source file /book/scripts/libfilter.c that needs to be compiled and
installed in /user/local/libexec/lpfilter.

I must have missed something here as neither I nor the locate command
can find this source file.

If anyone would please be so kind as to point out where I may find the
above mentioned file, please respond.

Rusty