Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:54:15 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make install error in fdp-primer

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 07:26:41PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> I can do a make from /usr/doc now but an install dies in fdp-primer.

The only reason why you're able to do a make is the presence of some old
files. Try to do a make clean; make all and you'll see what I'm talking
about. The bug that saves you at the moment is the lack of decent
dependecies.

The build process should build compressed versions of the
html files. Right now, it doesn't know to build them. The old versions
are still around and are accpepted because the Makefiles don't know
that foo.html.gz must be rebuilt if foo.html is newer than foo.html.gz.

That's one of the reasons why I'm using my own build environment for
single articles. It's defininig its own set of suffix rules. In other
words, I have implicit dependencies: files that need to be rebuild will
be rebuild and files that don't need to rebuild won't be rebuild. As
It Should Be(TM).

On the other hand, I'm only generating the .html and .html.gz files at
the moment. Expanding the suffix rules to cover all the over formats
will be a pain in the butt. Expanding them to cover the book case will
be really interesting (i.e., an even bigger pain in the butt).

> I couldn't find where this is occuring but the png's are in
> imagelib/callouts and that isn't were the make file is trying to
> install them from.

That's easy:
cd /usr/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/fdp-primer
ln -s imagelib/callouts .
mkdir /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/fdp-primer/callouts

and restart your make install.

/s/Udo
--
Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the