Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 14:03:25 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        William English <english1@tir.com>
Subject:   Re: "Device not configured" (was: (no subject))

On Wednesday, 24 June 1998 at 18:27:04 -0400, William English wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> FreeBSD doesn't have a device that you are trying to use.  (/dev/cuaa1).
>>
>> You've got to be careful with statements like this: it's somewhat
>> ambiguous.
>>
>>> Check to see if you have a dev /dev/cuaa1 (translates to the traditional
>>> com2).  If your modem is on /dev/cuaa0 (com1) like mine, then you need a
>>> set device /dev/cuaa0 in ppp.  If your modem IS on /dev/cuaa1, then do
>>> this:
>>>
>>> cd /dev
>>> sh MAKEDEV cuaa1
>>>
>>> And THEN check to see if there is a /dev/cuaa1.
>>
>> I deleted the original message unread because it didn't contain a
>> subject.  If /dev/cuaa1 is missing, you'll get the message "No such
>> file or directory" (ENOENT, error number 1).  If, however, the node
>> /dev/cuaa1 is present, but the kernel doesn't have support for it, you
>> get error ENXIO (6, Device not configured).  In this case, ./MAKEDEV
>> won't help.  It's unusual to find a kernel without serial support,
>> however.
>
> /dev/cuaa1 is there
> it says not configured
> i dont know how to config it
> what do i do add it to the kernel
> and on startup it says
>
> sio1 not found

OK, this sounds like a different problem.  This last message shows
that the kernel has serial support, but it can't find the device.
There are a number of possibilities:

1.  You may have installed an internal modem "on top of" a port on the
    motherboard.  Modern motherboards have two serial ports, so you
    would have to disable one of them.  Otherwise both the onboard
    port and your modem won't work.

2.  You may have set up the modem/port at the wrong address or IRQ.
    The GENERIC kernel expects to find the port at address 0x2f8 and
    in IRQ 3.  Check the BIOS for an onboard port or the jumpers for
    an internal modem to make sure that you have the port set up
    correctly.

3.  You may have put another device on the same IRQ line, or not
    enabled interrupts.

4.  You may have a board such as the IWill series.  These boards have
    a strange UART which doesn't respond to the startup probes
    correctly.  In this case, FreeBSD won't find sio0 either.  Check
    out http://www.lemis.com/serial-port-patch.html for more details.

5.  You may have some other problem.

Check these through and if you still can't get it to work, let me know
which seems most likely.

Greg