Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:02:35 +1100
From:      "Peter Marrinon" <peterm@telstra.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Duel NICs to same LAN

Hello,

I run some FreeBSD servers whose Fast Ethernet links are saturated.

I am experimenting with a box with two NICs (fxp0 and fxp1) in an attempt to
double the bandwidth. Both NICs have their own IP address but are in the
same subnet. They are connected to a Cisco switch.

Without any configuration changes, I can roughly double the incoming
bandwidth by load balancing incoming traffic over the two ip addresses.
However, because both interfaces are on the same LAN, all outgoing traffic
goes through fxp0, as that is the default route.

What I would like to see is either:

* all outgoing traffic load-balanced across the two cards, or
* the traffic for each source IP address going out the relevant NIC (I can
then do the load balancing at a higher level)

Has anyone successfully done either of these?

I have tried ipfw fwd, but that allows me only to forward to a gateway, not
an interface.
I have also tried using netgraph - I can get outgoing load-balanced, but not
with incoming at the same time.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Marrinon