Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 08:10:36 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Back to our seats

Hang on while I grab my high heels, spectacles and big stick...
OK, forget the stick... all sitting down? Good.

There are some standards of behaviour that we assume everyone
will follow due to common sense, respect for other members of the
group, and awareness of how long a bad reputation sticks
in professional circles such as the FreeBSD community. These
standards of behaviour might not have been so important among
users of other systems, but here we take them very seriously indeed.
Some of you who have dabbled elsewhere will find we're different.

I am referring to activities which many would regard as
illegal, immoral, or against all concepts of netiquette.
If technology is abused to achieve these activities, the
situation is doubly severe.

Neither FreeBSD nor any of the mailing lists may be used for
nasty work. Our community has *NO* tolerance for activities
such as cracking, spamming, gross obscenity, or even discussion
of methods that might be used for those purposes.

For your own sake, when you see discussion of any related topics
don't participate. If you use someone else's bad methods
to stop them from doing bad, that makes you *worse* than them.
It shows that you knew better, but went on and did it anyway.

We're going to be around for a long time, though not always
as newbies. It can be hard to see how bad a playful act might
look to others. Think very carefully before damaging your own
reputation or accidentally encouraging others to damage theirs.

Sure, we're here to make our mistakes, learn and be forgiven.
But geez, can't we be just a little more selective about who
we listen to and which mistakes we make?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-