Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:03:04 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Mike Walsh <mike.walsh@timestar.com>
Subject:   Re: two network cards, IRQ's

At 06:52 PM 1/23/02 -0500, Mike Walsh wrote:
>hey there,
>
>i'm trying to build a machine with two network cards on it so it can be a
>VPN server.  i'm building it with FreeBSD version 4.4, and everything seems
>to be going fine except when it comes to configuring these two network
>cards.  i've been reading the documentation as well as the web and i can't
>find anything on this particular topic.  maybe someone over there can help
>me out.
>
>here are my two cards, in terms of how FreeBSD views them.
>
>    Device   Port  IRQ DRQ IOMem Description
>    dc0      n/a   n/a n/a n/a   DEC/Intel 21143 cards and workalikes
>    fxp0     dyn   dyn n/a dyn   Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B and Intel
>                                 PRO/100+ Management Adapter
>
>they both want an IRQ of 9.  i thought of directly putting the IRQ in the
>config file and making a new kernel, but it doesn't seem to apply.

Mike,

These are both PCI cards, are they not?

PCI devices sharing IRQ's is no problem - the PCI bus was designed with
that in mind. I've had 3 devices share a single IRQ before with no trouble
at all.

For the record, the only time I ever encountered an issue with IRQ sharing
was with a USB HP scanner that - according to HP's documentation - didn't
always work unless the USB controller had its own IRQ, but that was under
Windows 98.

Maybe I misunderstood your question, so let's back up - you posted here, so
I assume the cards are not working for you. What's happening, exactly?

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM