Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:28:36 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        budsz <budsz@kumprang.or.id>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: About permission

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, budsz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to limiting access for normal user, maybe for implementation
> normal user can't change, read, directory to /home, so if I give permission 700
> /home, normal user can't login to shell maybe error message:

Thats because  you need execute permision to be able to 'cd' into the
directory. Try seting /home to 711, that way they can't read/write the dir,
but they can cd into it.

In directories

'r' means you can 'ls' the directory.
'w' means you can create/delete files in the directory.
'x' means you can 'cd' into the diretory.

Why are you tryiong to do this? There are lots of ways of finding out
the home dirs of the other users, regardless of /home permissions

			Fer

				Fer