Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 1998 12:46:50 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        James Shaw <jashaw@san.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet card support under FreeBSD

On Sat,  7 February 1998 at 18:19:03 -0800, James Shaw wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Sat,  7 February 1998 at  2:18:28 -0800, James Shaw wrote:
>>> I have a sohoware fast 10/100 auto pci fast ethernet adapter (NE
>>> 100TX-E).  Can it be used under FreeBSD?
>>
>> Maybe.
>>
>>> It came with drivers for winnt and win95, but not FreeBSD.
>>
>> That's because FreeBSD is a complete operating system, including all
>> drivers.  That shouldn't worry you.
>>
>> The real problem here is deciding what the board really is.  The names
>> and numbers you quote are probably something that a marketroid dreamt
>> up.  I'd guess that this is a clone board, so what we need to find out
>> is what the original board was.   Failing that, the chipset
>> information would be of use.  Take a look at
>> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook10.html#10 and see if anything
>> looks similar.  You can also look in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT,
>> which contains the following comments:
>>
>> # ar: Arnet SYNC/570i hdlc sync 2/4 port V.35/X.21 serial driver (requires sppp)
>> # cx: Cronyx/Sigma multiport sync/async (with Cisco or PPP framing)
>> # ed: Western Digital and SMC 80xx; Novell NE1000 and NE2000; 3Com 3C503
>> # el: 3Com 3C501 (slow!)
>> # ep: 3Com 3C509 (buggy)
>> # fe: Fujitsu MB86960A/MB86965A Ethernet
>> # ie: AT&T StarLAN 10 and EN100; 3Com 3C507; unknown NI5210; Intel EtherExpress
>> # le: Digital Equipment EtherWorks 2 and EtherWorks 3 (DEPCA, DE100,
>> #     DE101, DE200, DE201, DE202, DE203, DE204, DE205, DE422)
>> # lnc: Lance/PCnet cards (Isolan, Novell NE2100, NE32-VL)
>> # sr: RISCom/N2 hdlc sync 1/2 port V.35/X.21 serial driver (requires sppp)
>> # wl: Lucent Wavelan (ISA card only).
>> # ze: IBM/National Semiconductor PCMCIA ethernet controller.
>> # zp: 3Com PCMCIA Etherlink III (It does not require shared memory for
>> #     send/receive operation, but it needs 'iomem' to read/write the
>> #     attribute memory)
>>
>> If you have FreeBSD up and running, you could put the board in the
>> machine and see if the system recognizes it.  If you do this, make
>> sure the board is set to its default values.
>>
>> If you still can't make anything out of it, tell us what's written on
>> the larger chips.
>
> Here is the technical specifications excerpted from the installation guide:
>
> Standards Compliance       IEEE 802.3u 100Base-TX
>                            IEEE 802.3 10Base-T
>                            PCI Local Bus Specification. Ver. 2.0
>
> Connection Interface       Single J-45 connector for both 10Base-T and 100Base-TX
>
> I/O address                Assigned by the BIOS to a free I/O address block
>
> IRQ Line: INT A            Assigned by the BIOS to a free IRQ (interrupt) number
>
> Software Support:          Noovell NetWare, Novell NetWare Lite, Novell Personal
> NetWare, Microsoft Windows for Workgroups, Microsoft Windows NT, Microsoft Windows
> 95 Microsoft LANA Manager, SCO UNIX, Artisoft LANtastic, IBM LAN Server, NDIS-and
> ODI-compliant operationg systems.

You'd expect any Ethernet board to have these specs.  They say nothing
about the specific board.

>  And when I boot to FreeBSD, the initial message says:
>
> pci0:17: vendor=0x10ec, device=0x8129, class=network (ethernet) int a irq 10 [no
> driver assigned]
>
> So I guess FreeBSD detected the board.  But how do I install the driver for the
> board?

Hmmm.  It *does* give the Vendor code and Device.  I'll investigate.

> Also, I have cable modem right now with RoadRunner.  Basically I
> need to run the RoadRunner Login software in Winnt to log in and
> start using the cable modem.  My question is: Even if the ethernet
> card can be used under FreeBSD, can I use the cable modem without
> the RoadRunner Login Software?

I don't know.  I'd guess that the tech support people don't know,
either.

> There isn't a version of the software for FreeBSD.

FreeBSD doesn't need it.  What we need is a spec so we can interface
at a sensible level.

You've raised a couple of questions here that I can't answer.  I'll
wait a while to give other people a chance to reply.  If I don't see a
reply by Monday, I'll look further.

Greg