Date:      Sun, 7 May 1995 19:37:44 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@asstdc.scgt.oz.au>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI drive auto error reallocation

Peter Dufault writes:

> The newest version of "scsi" lets you edit your mode pages.  Now that I've
> added that you may want to check to see if you have automatic read and
> write reallocation enabled.  I have three SCSI drives and none did.

Nor did mine .. however, I can understand wishing to dynamically reallocate
on write failures, but reads ?

> The command is "scsi -f /dev/rsd?c -m 1" to dump mode page 1 ..

On an ISA machine (running -current, 7/7/95, BusLogic 542B, OLD firmware)
this can cause ..

May  7 17:46:50 asstdc /kernel: aha0: DMA beyond end Of ISA
May  7 17:46:50 asstdc /kernel: biodone: buffer already done

 .. needless to say the ioctl fails. Not fatal, but interesting.

> > hda# scsi -f /dev/rsd2c -m 1
> > AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  1
> > ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  1
> > TB (Transfer Block):  1
> > RC (Read Continuous):  0
> > EER (Enable Early Recovery):  1
> > PER (Post Error):  0
> > DTE (Disable Transfer on Error):  0
> > DCR (Disable Correction):  0
> > Read Retry Count:  18
> > Correction Span:  11
> > Head Offset Count:  0
> > Data Strobe Offset Count:  0
> > Write Retry Count:  18
> > Recovery Time Limit:  0

> If AWRE and ARRE are 0 you want to run the command with the "-e -P 3"
> switches to permanently enable read and write reallocation.

Could someone please explain 'TB' and 'EER' which seem to differ from teh
above on a drive here ?

	michael