Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:42:37 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, Charlie & <root@dambiec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPU Usage

On Wednesday 15 August 2001 12:59, Rick Hamell wrote:
> > On top, it displays every processes cpu usage as 0% It also does this on
> > ps -L.
> > Does anybody know how this problem could be fixed?
> > I have a amd duron 800mhz with asus a7v-e mainboard.
>
> 	1st off... don't send email from root.. it's bad practise...:) In
> fact only log in as root when you need too.
> 	2ndly... FreeBSD is not like Windows. Just because your CPU usage
> is 0%, is not a bad thing...

Maybe it's not bad, but it *is* implausible.  In fact, I have to believe that
if *all* process show as 0.00%, then something's not right.  In my
experience, whenever I run top, there's at least process (namely, "top") that
shows non-zero CPU, although just now, for example, top was 0.15% when it
first started up.  After that, it dropped to zero.

xosview shows up always as about 5%.  You can run that to see whether top is
getting bad numbers or you just aren't keeping your CPU very busy with user
processes.  Doing something like ls -R / should cause some non-zero number to
show up for ls after a while.

But low numbers are normal; system time won't show up in top, and FreeBSD is
efficient enough that if you aren't doing much then the CPU isn't doing much,
either.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)