Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 1995 12:13:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@warlock.win.net>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   re: A "FreeBSD" Daemon

>It has been decided here that the 2.1 CD is going to be released with
>posters, t-shirts and (if I get my way! :) coffee mugs, all covered
>with the smiling face of our favorite little daemon character.
>                                                  or we can do
>something entirely new!

Terrific.  Let me toss an unpopular suggestion on the table.

The internet startup I work for now was named "Computer Witchcraft, Inc."
when I began.  I fought and fought to have the name changed to something
that would not be a liability in the real world.  Ultimately I won out
and the name is now "Win Net Communications, Inc." - boring - but time
has vindicated me (business reasons now!).

Let me suggest something along the same lines.  Ditch the daemon thing.

Use the american eagle from the presidential seal.  A symbol of Freedom.
Within its talons should be a couple of things we might use.  Off the top
of my head I think there should be a screwdriver in one talon and a stripped
end of a piece of coax in the other :-)  (so you can tell it is rj)  Or
maybe a screwdriver and a cd-rom.

The NSA supposedly has a large mosaic of the eagle seal in their main lobby
with a large skeleton key in one talon.

At some point the demonic business comes back to get ya!  Ditch it.

Now I realize that there are many non-USA participants in the FreeBSD effort.
I apologize to them for my yankee centered thought process.

Maybe we could get a picture of the statue the kids put up in Tianamin (sp?)
square and use her.  Convert her torch to a cd-rom.

You get the picture.  I suggest freedom symbols for FreeBSD!  Although
Jordon and the core team may consider it a chain gang :-)

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net