Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 02:00:51 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Just an observation - MUA's seen in the lists

On 12 Apr 2001, at 22:26, Chip Wiegand wrote:

> I recently noticed, while reading through these lists, that a large
> number of messages posted are coming from windoze computers.

If you check, all of my messages come from my NT Workstation.  All my
FreeBSD boxes are servers.

Now what about browsers: I don't have the FreeBSD Diary stats available, but for
FreshPorts, I can give you a little bit of info.  Unfortunately, I've been grouping
Agents, which I've just turned off as I found it.  For April to date (all figures
rounded):

23% Mozilla/4.0
21% Mozilla/4.7
 7% Mozilla/3.01 (compatible;)
 6% Mozilla/3.01Gold (Macintosh; I; 68K)
 5% Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)
 4% Wget/1.5.3
 4% libwww-perl/5.48
 3% Meerkat-Collector/1.2
 3% Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)

Everything else is below 2%.  Ask me again in a month and I'll give ungrouped
figures for Mozilla.

Looking at the FreeBSDZine for March,
<http://www.freebsdzine.org/stats/usage_200103.html#TOPAGENTS>; we see
that Windows takes the top 6 spots for a combined total of 33.6%.  Over the top
15 spots, Windows takes nearly 40%.

The total for all non-windows in the top 15 is 7.71%.  Mind you, that leaves
about 52% unaccounted for, each category of which will be < 1% each.

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php