Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:43:21 PST
From:      "Jason Malone" <jmal25@hotmail.com>
To:        jm7996@devrycols.edu, cjclark@home.com, jmal25@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting the GUI in FreeBSD 2.2.6

Hi,
Thanks for the info concerning x-windows.I am now well on the way to
configuring fvwm95(or maybe something similar).

Regards,

Jason Malone.

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:15:00 -0500
To: cjclark@home.com,jmal25@hotmail.com (Jason Malone)
From: "James A. Mutter" <jm7996@devrycols.edu>
Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)

At 08:53 PM 1/21/99 -0500, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>Jason Malone wrote,
>
>BTW, X is not really a 'GUI.' It's called the 'X Window System.' If you
>are expecting a 'Start' button, there isn't one. The default 'startx'
>will give you the 'twm' window manager (X itself does not put the
>title bars, menus, etc. on windows, a manager program does), and an
>xterm (which will be just like your console). There are other window
>managers more like Winbloze if that's what you want (e.g. fvwm95).

What are you talking about?

X in combination with _any_ window manager is most certainly a GUI.  The
term GUI or Graphical User Interface is hardly Windows specific.  You've
got 2 choices, a CLI or Command Line Interface or a GUI - Graphical User
Interface.