Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 01:29:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad system call - world build

 * I'm sorry Satoshi-san, then people should install a 3.X snap on
 * a client, NFS mount their diskspace and make world that way.

That always worked, but it is horrendously slow.  Besides, how about
"make release"?  Doesn't that thing build a target world on the host
system?

 * You don't need to that.  But imagine for a moment that we're talking
 * about compiling a alpha-world on a i386 machine and you will quickly
 * realize why the very thing you are complaining about is an instance of
 * "the wrong thing to do".  So rather than complaining about __getcwd(),
 * you should either realize that you are asking for something we cannot
 * currently do or alternatively make it so we can do it.

You like to knock down your own strawman don't you? ;)

Extrapolating into the future, you can prove anything is bound to be
doomed.  Rhetoric doesn't do any good here.  You just made life very
hard for people to upgrade, as well as negating a large part of my few
month's work of work.

I'm trying to fix it.  If you are just going to try to justify why you
broke that, there is no need for that.  (That's why I said "I don't
want to point fingers.")  If you are not willing to help, just say so,
and I won't bother you again.

Satoshi