Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 21:30:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
Cc:        pete@sms.fi, mike@sentex.net, dg@root.com, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fxp0 and full duplex

 * I wouldn't be surprised if this is also at least partially to do with
 * "suckage" in the ftp client.  The NT ftp and telnet clients have been
 * known to suck badly in many other ways.

I wouldn't be surprised either.  However, we observed about the same
trasfer rate using two different ftp clients (cuteftp and the ftp
client that comes with exceed), neither of which are written by
Microsoft.  So if it's suckage in clients, it's contagious. :>

Note this could very well be the filesystem, as I previously said.
When I previously measured Windows NT 3.51, we couldn't get more than
7MB/s through the filesystem no matter how many disks we striped (that
was on a P5-133).  The system load utility showed an extremely high
CPU load.  And no, I haven't run the same test on the P6-200, we don't
have a compiler for this version of Windows NT.

 * I'd be interested to hear if you've tried FreeBSD client - WinNT
 * server, where the ftp server is IIS 3.0 or better.

Sorry, but we don't have an ftp server set up on Windows NT.  (We only
have "Workstation" anyway...does it have an ftp server?)  The only
reason why we are using Windows NT is because we need Adobe Photoshop
to run on some of the machines.  Our students ftp files from/to the
FreeBSD fileservers to do the image processing work.

 * I'd give it a try right here, but all my adapters are routed through a
 * 10Base-T hub which limits me to max 10Mb/s.

That won't help much.  It works fine (i.e., 700-800KB/s) in 10BaseT
mode.

Satoshi